Monday, March 4, 2013

Almost St. Patty's Day & That Means Cabbage

I guess I am on a vegetable kick this week. We had a corned beef brisket, getting into the spirit of St. Patty's Day and all, and well you can't have corned beef without cabbage! But we also love potatoes and carrots, and my crock-pot just isn't big enough to handle our hearty appetites, so I ended up with half a head of cabbage left over. 
I wasn't sure if you could freeze cabbage or not. And the only canned cabbage I had seen was sauerkraut  which my hubby despises, and then it occurred to me *duh* brussel sprouts are like mini cabbages and people freeze those...yes, that was really my logic :) 

So here we go:
I took my half a head of cabbage, and halved it. So if you had a full head of cabbage, you could quarter it. Don't cut out or cut through the stem portion, this holds the leaves of the cabbage together so they don't come off when blanching.


Then I placed the cabbage into boiling water, and blanched for 3 minutes:


Just like with the green beans from my last post I removed the cabbage and placed into an ice cold water bath to stop the cooking process...only this time I didn't have an ice bin to un-thaw so it is just ice cold water, works the same :)


Then, once cooled, I placed into food saver bags and vacuum sealed them.
Voila, ready to be frozen cabbage.



Woohoo. This time a year stores generally have cabbage on sale due to the St. Patrick's Day Holiday. And although I enjoy coleslaw, I prefer cabbage much more in roasts and sometimes soups. This is an awesome way to add some out of season veggies to your freezer without breaking the bank. And believe me I am all about NOT breaking the bank :)

Until next time, God Bless <3

Also if you get the chance, please check out the following blog and pray for Ryan and his family. What an amazing journey they have been on and are going through. As they are going through this bit of hardship  please join me in praying for them:

Matthew 18:20English Standard Version (ESV)

20: For where two of three are gathered in my name, there I am among them"

http://rkprudhomme.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment