Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cheap Frozen Green Beans


As I have mentioned I do everything on a budget. "Prepping" can be quite expensive as well as healthy living and eating, so when I find good deals on produce I snatch them up :)

For example my local grocery store has a rack they fill up that says "oops we purchased too much" and it is produce that is usually at the point that if you don't do something with it right away it needs to be thrown out. I LOVE THIS RACK! Yesterday I found 2.60 lbs of green beans for only $1.79, woohoo I have been wanting to freeze some veggies *snatch* 

Here is my first go at freezing green beans. First I cut off the ends of the beans and then cut them into "bite sized" pieces. Then I put them in a steamer with boiling water for about 3 minutes. you can see some of the pieces are bigger than others, I didn't make it an exact science.

Start






After 3 minutes


I then submerged them in ice water to stop the cooking. There is a lot of ice water here, you don't need this much I just noticed the ice bin in my freezer needed defrosted so I dumped it all in the sink to help cool the beans. 


Once they were cooled down I used my handy dandy FoodSaver Freeze 'n Steam bags, and put 2 - 2 1/2 cups of beans per package.


Here is want I ended up with:


By the way I love these FoodSaver bags. They came with our food saver, and have all sorts of different veggies and cook times on them. They even have cooking time for chicken breast (I may have to try that). The bags and FoodSavers can be found here. I highly recommend buying one. Your food stays good for so much longer. And I only have a family of three, but since it is cheaper to buy in bulk, we save mucho bucks by being able to separate and portion out our meat, cheese, veggies, etc. You can find them here (we have the FoodSaver Master Chef Kit) http://www.foodsaver.com/index.aspx

Until next time God Bless <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment